Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blagoevgrad Orphanage

                          Orphan boys play on the playground of Blagoevgrad's orphanage in Bulgaria.

                                 http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125903954
                              http://www.flashnews.org/features/students-help-children-learn-english.html


Going to the orphanage here in Blagoevgrad, I was a bit apprehensive not knowing what to expect out of this experience. Recently I found out that a volunteer group at my school goes once a week to the local orphanage to spend time with the children. One of the reasons I came here was to volunteer at an orphanage at some point of my stay here in Bulgaria, so naturally I became part of this group!
 It’s about a 20 minuet walk from the dorms and when I came upon the orphanage I was stuck by the bright yellow color it’s painted and the thought that it’s trying to be cheerful. There were a few kids already outside who ran up to the students who last semester had visited the orphanage frequently. We were greeted with hugs, and the children asked us our names. I was definitely overwhelmed with the look of the children, and the fact I could not make conversation with them. So the whole time I just smiled, and hoped I looked friendly enough. My favorite part was when a little boy who said he’s 10, but is more likely around 7 came up to me and sat on my lap for a bit, and then grabbed me by my hand and took me toward a swing to push him. The language barrier is the hardest part, and I wish I could actually have a conversation with them. The part that surprised me the most was when around 4 girls around 8-10 came and sat on the bleachers and started smoking. I don’t think I’ve ever saw kids that young smoking, and it made me sad.



I’m going to be going every Friday to the orphanage to visit with the children. I wont be taking any pictures of the children because A) apparently the Bulgarian government is strict on taking pictures and B) I believe it’s exploitation of the children, making them an object or a spectacle just to post on Facebook, or here on my blog.


So for now I’ll just be writing about my experience in the orphanage and will have to do without pictures. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment