Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bulgarian visa in hand, I'm ready to go!

Wow, what a week it has been! I was suppose to leave on Tuesday, however as fate would have it the Bulgarian Embassy called me last Wednesday to say my visa was ready and I needed to send my passport ASAP, so I sent it the fastest mail possible and my passport arrived Friday. I had called and the Bulgarian Embassy said they would send it when they got it ASAP, and if they had sent my passport back on Friday it would have been here on Monday, just in time for my flight but no. So without my passport I called Lufthansa to rebook my flight. Thinking it would cost max 150, I was a little upset but when I called and was told it would cost $2,000 to rebook my ticket for Thursday! I was then told I should cancel my ticket I'd bought 2 months ago for a fee of $250 and buy a new ticket 3 days before I wanted to leave...ughhhhh! One of the worst night ever. So I canceled my ticket and after looking at ticket to both London (where I had planned a 5 day holiday) and Sofia, I decided to just get a ticket straight to Sofia because with the time difference I would have only had Saturday in London and would have had to leave on a 9am flight to Sofia Sunday.
So now I'm stuck with a nonrefundable round trip London-Sofia ticket. On the small bright side, the Sofia-London ticket is for my Spring break, and I would just have to buy a one way ticket back to Sofia if I do end up going to England and Scotland like I'm planning for my Spring Break.

I'm a little heartbroken between of all the money I've lost because I did not receive my visa in time, plus the fact I'd been looking forward to going to London! =(

Now I'm set to leave Friday 11am from Seattle to Chicago to Munich to Sofia. I only have a 45 minuet connection time in Munich so if my Chicago-Munich flight is late there's a chance I might be stuck in Munich for a few hours, which I'd be ok with, since my Rotary host sister Annika will be in Munich for the day! =)

When I arrive in Sofia one of two this will happen: I get in at 3:50, and will make my way to a hostel with 2 bags, a carry on, a backpack and a purse and will get over my jet lag while I wait for the following day when a fellow American will be getting into Sofia and we will both be taking a taxi AUBG had arranged. My favorite part was the email confirming this
was the fact the lady arranging the taxi wrote that: the taxi driver is "very reliable, who doesn't speak much English." I'm glad he's reliable! ^^
The second scenario would be that AUBG could arrange a pick up on Saturday from the airport and I could check into the dorms Saturday night, but I'm not sure that will happen!

Anyways, even though I've had to deal with a lot the last couple days I'll be getting on a plane Friday to Europe! On the sad side for some reason my visa is only good for a 180 days, when I had asked for it to be good for 365 days, since I'm going for the whole year and all...! So I guess I'll have to figure THAT out when I get there!


Malea

No comments:

Post a Comment